Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, May 18, 2009

Accepting grades

The exams are finally over and the holidays are nearing, but I do not feel happy at all, not one bit. The results have already been known and I am not pleased with one of my subjects. Even though my other subjects did fairly well, it was because of one subject that just ruin my day. I know that I should not let one paper to saddened my holiday mood but what can I do. I admit, I am quite " grade-hungry"( it is not a real word, I just made it up from the word" power-hungry")I am not contented with an A2 for the subject that I excelled in Primary school and term 1. People would say that A2 is very good ALREADY, that I should be contented.Many of the other students that had poorer results would say that I am very. Then parents will go on about the lecture on grades is not everything , just that next time need to do better. The fact that people keep saying that grades are not important sometimes infuriate me. I agree that grades are not everything but they are still very important. In the future,when you apply for a job, the first thing the interviewer look at you is your grades. Yes, it is your grades that help you to be employed. If a person with no education and a person with a secondary school education are competing for a job, naturally the one the has an education will get the job.Similarly, the one that have better grades have a higher chance of getting the job.

My parents always console me that if I failed or did not so well, you should just study harder for the next test. This grades are not important. I disagree with them. All the test must be done to your best of your capability and I know that I can do so much better yet I didn't. It was due to carelessness that made me very disappointed. The subject I was disappointed was Science. All along my science was always one of the best and in the last term,I got an A1.This time, I only got a 29 and a half /40. What made me so sore is that I missed half a mark from an A1. It was so i infuriating. My test paper was filled with careless errors. Also, my last page had a big fat zero as I had no time to finish the paper. If I had added a zero to one of my answers, I could have gotten what I want. It was because of that single digit that pulled me down to and A2. People would say I am very" bad", not contented with and A2 which some people yearn for but I still cannot accept the fact that I got an A2. Seeing more than half the class able to get and A1 and see them jump for joy made the pain worse. No matter how many word of condolence cannot make me accept my grades.

Grades are important to me as it gives me pride which is the reward for myself of all the hard work I had put in. It is the fuel that keeps me up to continue to strive for excellence. Without the fuel, even the best cars or any type of vehicle cannot travel far.The fact that people continuously say it is alright,never mind the grades, they are still good, you should accept the grades, you should accept failure. It is easier said that done. The biggest hurdle is to overcome oneself. Like in war, the greatest hurdle is not to kill the enemy but it is the courage you need to muster to go to the front line and fight. Similarly, it is not the journey to get good grades but the ability to stand up from failure and continue is important. I know this, I have heard this countless times but when I come face to face with the situation,I am still unable to apply this. It is just to hard accepting facts that I do not want to face. You may say I am a coward not facing the music but I know many of the people cannot face their results and their parents. It is naturally that you want to avoid reality as it is too bitter to handle. However, life is like that. Sooner or later,I need to face the music. Soon, I have to accept the grade. It is unchangeable. What is done is done. It will always be like this though sometimes you do get a second chance.Those are the lucky ones. Now the greatest hurdle I have yet to overcome. I just hope I have the courage to face it.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jonathan,

    For me, it was an emotional roller-coaster ride, from the lowest low to the highest high. Last Friday, my MSG took a destructive hit as my Science test marks plummeted from an A1 to C5. I thought: Oh no...that's it, it's over. Then came the 2 days that changed everything-yesterday and today(Monday and Tuesday). Firstly, I was pleasantly surprised that my maths obtained an A1 when so many people regarded it as tough. Furthermore, I improved from B3 to A1.

    Next, I have tell you this. Just have to. It started with My geog getting an A1, then followed by Ms Matthews saying that 9 people failed in our class and she said we did generally badly. I was so nervous that when she asked me to sign on the marks verification sheet, I could not believe my ears that she said '16'. WHAT?? I thought. Justin got a C5...I got a...16? I looked carefully. I actually mistook it for 10 at first! I was so happy that when Ms Matthews asked me what is 16 converted to 100%, I could not even tell her the answer. my mind was in a total blank as I signed my name WITHOUHT EVEN CHECKING MY MARKS ON THE VERIFICATION LIST and ran back to my seat. It was totally awesome. My inference got a 'wow, clear explanation, well-supported' by her and my essay actually got 8 marks. I was lost for words as I calculated my MSG. I was stunned. It's 1.83, if nothing goes wrong. Oh My Goodness.

    Well, from my experience, you can see that it was really emotionally taxing on me as I rode along this crazy ride. My point is, I'm really disappointed with my Science, but I chose to look on the bright side and see that, wow, my Maths, IS, Chinese and Humanities all improved! What's there to be sad about then? Therefore, my advice is, be positive. Look, you maintained all your other subjects! That is already an incredible feat considering the strong pressure piled upon us and the strong compeition of your class! So, don't only look at the SLIGHT deprovement of your Science marks, be proud of yourself that you managed to maintain your other subjects! Right?

    Anyway Jon, hope you would successfully maintain all your subjects next term as well and obtain an A1 for Science. All the best!:)

    Best Regards,
    Derrick

    ReplyDelete