Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, June 01, 2009

My first semester

My first semester was both sweet and sour. It has not been easy to overcome all obstacles in this fruitful yet painful semester. A lot have change since the beginning of the year , either for the better or the worse.Number of hardships faced are doubled in the hectic lifestyle of a secondary school student. Having to deal with homework, heavy responsibilities, projects and in the end having to sacrifice sleep have not been easy.Though getting used to the tiredness, I hope the day of the heavy burden on my shoulders will be lifted. However, things had not been always bad.I had made new friends in my new school and I had a new CCA.Best of all, the facilities in the school are amazing. This makes boring lessons become interesting,especially during PE lessons.There are many ups and downs in this phase of life. One moment you could be praised by the teacher for doing well in the test but next thing you know, you are being scolded by another teacher for not doing homework to her expectations. This roller-coaster ride is the journey which we all have to experience.

I not very enjoyable thing that occurred to me is that I became the chairman of the class. It is not that I hate the job but it really make me worry a lot. With the heavy responsibility on my shoulder, I have to be on my toes to solve and avoid disaster, especially when the class is noisy, the chairman is responsible to keep the class quiet.I do not know why but my class became very noisy.They just love to talk and are very playful. Though having a monitor, He is also unable to control the class like me and I think he had given up trying to keep the class quiet. Anyway, it is always the chairman fault if something goes wrong.When a teacher steps into a class that is very noisy, the first thing they would say is" Who is the chairman?" Then, I would raise my hand and get lectured that is is my duty to keep the class quiet. No matter how I try, my voice will be overpowered by the class.Also,i had to collect things for the class like magazine and letters. Sometimes, the school gives very specific destination to collect the items or to return them. One of the places is"T204" a number given to a specific room. I am certainly not able to know where the destination is so I have to run around finding it, in fear of being late and get another scolding.

Although it is tough being a chairman, it could be enjoyable too. There is one incident that i remembered . As the chairman, I had to stay back to decorate the classroom with the other CMC.Although we did not do a great job and not all of our classmates like it but we got praised by our teacher for all the hard work we had put in.Our heart and sweat were put into the decoration though it may seemed easy. We too were proud of ourselves and we were satisfied with the decoration. Being a chairman gave me opportunities to help the class and gain experience of leadership. It is tiring but a fruitful experience.

One change that I dislike is the workload. I never imagine that this amount of work was even possible. The workload from term one had increased significantly when term two arrived. No matter how I slogged and worked, the homework just pile on top of each other, never stopping. It just keep increasing. In the past, I could do my very best to complete each and every piece of work so it was usually well done as the amount of work is little. Now, it is a race against time to complete the pile of work so the effort is spread out and so some work are done in a hurry. Even though, I tried hard to cope with the homework, I could never finished them before 10pm.I have to sacrifice an hour or more of my sleep time to finish the work. my usually sleeping time is at 11.30pm and the time I need to rise is at 5.45am so the time i rest is only little more than 6 hours.This is a change I need to get used to as when i get older, more such challenges awaits.

It may seem my secondary school life is horrible, it actually is quite enjoyable and fun.Many events like camps are organised for the secondary 1. I went to a camp during the March holidays.Despite the exhaustion, I made new friends and tightened the bond between existing friends. We had much fun doing the team-building exercises and ate and slept like never before.My CCA which is tough yet fun at the same time. It is the sport I like, tennis. My coach is quite sociable and my teammates are fun to hang with. We have to do much physical training which is very difficult to complete but in the training, we have many races to see who can run the fastest who could skip some physical training. We have a game( like other racket sports) called " King". It is basically a game that if a player could earn points by beating other players and become the king of the court . After becoming the king,other challengers will come and try to betroth you.To earn points, you must win the challenger when you are the king.The person with the most points do not need to do any physical training while others suffer the training.

After the whole term of working hard, studying hard and playing hard, the fruit of my labour had ripened. The results of our test were out,and I did fairly well. I was very satisfied with them and I am proud of myself for working so hard for the past few months. I am glad that all of them did not go to waste.

Though the road so far had been considerably smooth compared to the later years,I cannot be be overconfident and let pride overwhelm me. As the saying goes" a pride comes before a fall". I must remain humble and work equally hard or harder to maintain those marks. I also must improve on my time management. If I had better of that ,I could rest more and you better time to complete the work. Furthermore, I need to train harder for my CCA. Half the year has passed with half a year to go before the competition. I have set a goal for myself to be able to win a match in the competition.

The semester had gone and passed. I have to moving forward. I anxiously wait for the next term to arrive to see what road awaits ahead.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jonathan,

    I wonder if this topic was given by Ms Soh, because Shi Jie, you, Dexter, Justin have all done a post on "My First Semester in School". And you know what? Your one is the most down to earth, most detailed and thoughtful post and I enjoyed reading it very much. Great effort!:)

    Well, I agree with you that it was not easy being a chairman. Although I'm not even one of the CMC, but even telling my partner to keep quiet is an uphill task already. I could imagine the chairman asking 33 people(excluding himself) to keep quiet. Well, I witnessed that many times, and guess what? The class became even nosier, with all the "Shhhhsss", and even people taunting the chairman. My goodness. Anyway, kudos for the great job in decorating yout classroom! Remember, you cannot satisfy everyone.

    Secondly, I'm glad you made new friends and enjoyed your CCA. It's really rare to find a CCA that is so 'accommodating'. After reading your post, I just can't help but to feel proud of your CCA. On the point about new friends, I must say I too made some great ones but some friendships turned sour(like Justin and me, that's what I feel lah). Friends are really beneficial as they will help you tide through this tough period. Let me guess...is your best friend Jong?

    Lastly, on the increased workload, for me it's just alright, but I fully agree that the sleeptime available daily is horrible. Mine is 7 hours approx. and everytime I wake up, I would feel extrememly dizzy and longed to lie back on my comfortable mattress. It's just not enough, the sleeping hours, that is. How I wish the school hours can be shorter and after-school activities can be decreased and number of projects can be minimised! Nevertheless, we should look on the bright side and learn to relax a little.

    Honestly I'm very bad at relaxing, because the minute something goes wrong(like a projects' deadline is due and I have not completed it), I'll walk about in the house and enter a phase of depression(seriously!). My Mum thinks I'm crazy sometimes.

    Sorry for the long comment(I'm trying to match yours:), but on the last note, I would just like to wish you all the best for the next term, continue to score great marks and hope you stay focused and like you mentioned, not to be proud. I have confidence that you will consistently do well in your studies, strenghten exisitng friendships and forge new ones. Hope the road awaiting you would be a smooth one!:)

    Derrick

    ReplyDelete