Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Cleaniness is important

I never thought cleanliness was important. I thought it was something could be neglected. I was wrong. I never knew that because of dirtiness, people may lose their lives.Many innocent lives could be lost because of it. In other countries, diseases are abundant. These diseases are easily transmittable. It comes right down to the root of the problem, which is peopel neglect cleanliness. The conditions there are very bad. There are poor sanitation, rubbish on the floor, rats running wild in those countries. It is not hygienic as the food get contaminated by pests. The water which is the source of live, is polluted. Many innocent lives had been lost every year because of the fact that their place is not clean. You may not see it now but sooner or later you will realise the importance of cleanliness

Recently, there have been a food poisoning case in my country. It happened at Gelang Serai, a market and a hawker centre which stood side by side. Many people came down with the serious case of food poisoning. The stronger people just went to the toilet to do big business while others could be as bad as vomiting and dizziness. In the worse case, food poisoning could result in death. A few people have already lost their lives because of this case. The authorities had investigated the cause of the problem. Guess what? It was due to cleanliness. The place was very dirty and the cleanliness record of the stalls were C and D. They were not clean to even get a B. Soon, it was found out the rats roamed the area. After much hard work, the pest control captured more than a hundred of rats. No wonder people had food poisoning. Imagine when nobody is looking, the rats ate the food or pooped in the food which was served to the customers. Diseases would be passed to the victims too. Rats thrived in filthy places. If the place was clean, this horrible case would have been avoided. If only, people realised the importance of cleanliness

In school, my class is one of the dirtier ones. There are torn paper and a lot a lot of dust collected on the floor. All my teachers had commented that our class was very dirty. Some even refused to teach under the filthy condition. Yet, nothing much have been done. People still dirty the classroom. People also forget to do their duties to clean the classroom. Under these circumstances, the classroom will never be clean. I now understand the importance of cleanliness. I understand why my teacher spend so much time lecturing us on keeping the classroom clean. The cleanliness of the classroom actually affects our mood to learn. In a dirty classroom, pupils cannot concentrate due to the dirt and therefore learn less. They may get easily frustrated.If the class is clean, everybody is happy and we can learn better. If the classroom is dirty, we may easily fall sick. By missing classes, we learn lesser. However, my classmates are still oblivious to the dirty surrounding. They do not feel it is a problem . They do not know why keeping clean is important.

I hope people would start to realise the importance of cleanliness.We do not need to do big things to keep the surroundings clean like working at the rubbish dump to incinerate the rubbish. We just need to start with small things like cleaning your room or pick up big pieces of litter when you come across it. Do not turn a blind eye to these little things as they are the ones that contribute to the great filth on earth. So keep clean as it helps not only yourself but others too.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Jonathan,

    Hmmm, I have read the news and seen it. Indeed, it is disturbing to hear all of this events happening. It's as if we are getting a look inside the dark side of food service. However, at least our government is taking more precautions to prevent such things from happening again. In the meantime, I suggest simply taking care of ourselves first. Just today Ming Shi was said to be sik. (Although I doubt it because he was perfectly fine on Friday.) This shows howeasily we can be affected with these viruses. To me, stomach flu is something I fear the most. In primary five, if you can remember, I had to be absent from school for almost two weeks when I was admitted to the hospital due to food poisoning. Ever since then, I scrutinise every piece of food before I eat eat. It' a little silly, but I am NOT going to take any chances.

    Yours sincerely,
    Justin
    A.K.A. J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Double Js,
    (ok fine, Jonathan and Justin)

    I would like to say that even if we take care of ourselves, these problems will still occur. I mean, you cannot possibly study even grain of rice and check to see if there's any speck of dust on it(you get the idea). If the food seems edible and delicious, just tuck in. If we take precautions like washing your hands before meals, then it should be alright. For me, I just pray and normally I would eat without any worries:). Anyway, I have a suggestion: Hawker Centres can provide sinks at every let's say, 10 metres square of the whole area. Just one at every 10 metres square will do. This way, we can just wash our hands before sitting down at our tables, so conveniently, without having to proceed to the nearest washrooms which are often quite filthy. 请有关当局慎重地考虑我的意见,谢谢。Typical Singaporeans, everything also ask the relevant authorities to look into this matter...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jonathan,

    Allow me to start with some humour. When I read your post, I almost fell off my chair.

    "I never thought cleanliness was important."

    Oh my goodness! Does that mean that all these years, you... Nevermind, I don't even want to think about it.

    Anyway, cleaniness is important. The current H1N1 outbreak is a very simple result of being unhygenic and notobserving cleaniness.

    Ofcourse, mantaining good hygenine is something that starts from oneself. For me, I had elarnt from young one thing. Not sure if you ever noticed, I always wipe my mouth after eating at the canteen. Simple, but it is what I see as the first step to being clean. I also carry my hankerchief around wherever I go. This ensures that I have something to clean my sweat with and this makes me more aware of cleaniness too.

    Let me give you a disgusting example of somebody who did not observe cleaniness at all. As you know, the toilets in our school can be wuite dirty before washing. I can't even stand the smell for two seconds. But guess what. There was a day when I was going in to give mother nature's call aquick answer, and what I saw made me run out of the toilet, back to class, and hold my bladder for the next half of the day.

    A boy was eating his chips inside he toilet. I saw his every move. He zipped his pants, flushed the toilet by pressing the button with his finger, took his chips (opened at this time) and stuck his finger inside and began eating. Take note, I did not say that he had washed his hands before doing so.

    Thus, I feel that cleaniness is very important. We should all work hard to preserve it.

    Yours sincerely,
    Justin

    ReplyDelete