Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, April 04, 2009

Why me?

Why did the teacher had to change now? Why is it had to be me? I do not think I am up for the job. I am afraid I will mess up. Leading a class is not an easy task. Why must it be me? I have no courage . I feel like a chicken leading a pack of wolves. How am I going to lead them? What am I going to do?

On Friday something happened. It is not a terrible news but I have been pondering about this for a few days. I was suddenly burdened with a heavy responsibility. The Teacher had only the hour before she announced it. Upon hearing the decision, I was momentarily stunned. Me?Why? I was very worried about the decision made by my teacher. I was afraid of being the chairman...

Yes, I was chosen as the chairman of the class. I wasn't totally willingly to be up for the job. My teacher said she wanted to change the CMC as she wanted other people to have a chance to be a leader. At first, I tried to tell her that I am not the right person, but later I was somehow persuaded into doing it. I do not hate it but I fear that I cannot bear with such responsibilities.

Being a chairman is no walk in a park. He has many responsibilities to carry out. For example, he has to ensure the class is all present when the class go for an excursion or taking part in an event in school. If one pupil is not here, he has bear the responsibility. He has to collect work or consent forms. Collecting work is the hardest. People tend to forget to bring their work then the chairman has to go after them. Some people are so irresponsible that they can hand in about 1 or 2 weeks late. Then the chairman has to pass it to the teacher. When the teacher questions, the chairman has to answer to it.Sometimes, the teacher is not at his or her seat in the staffroom. He has to wait patiently for the teacher. The teacher may still have other classes to attend. In some cases, the chairman has to leave as he has CCA or other commitments. Being a Chairman is not a easy as you think. People tend to think being a chairman is fun. This is not true. Yes, you get happiness as you can help your friends but with the many problems you face as a chairman, you may think twice. People want to be chairman because they feel they have authority. However, this authority is to lead the class and not to be abuse like bullying others.

I feel being a Chairman has his advantages. As a Chairman, you could be well-liked by your classmates if you are responsible and carry out your duties. You have many friends to hang out with and talk with so you will not be lonely. Having this position trains you to be responsible. With the responsibilities the chairman carries, he has to carry them out dutifully. This will prevent him from getting scolded and also get many praises from friends or teachers . Being a chairman gives you and opportunity to gain leadership skills. These are the skills that great people in the future possess. The chairman has to lead by examples. He has to set a good example for his classmates. The chairman has to be kind, obedient,conscientious in his work, respectful to teachers and many other good values. The best of all, he has to be helpful. That is what makes a good chairman. As an important figure in the class, he has to behave at all times.

After the first day as chairman, I was already tired, I had to chase people after consent forms which half the class had forgotten to bring. They all said that they had lost it or some other excuses. I realised I was afraid, afraid to make announcements in class. I did not have the courage to raise my voice to announce to the class to pass up the forms. I was indeed like a chicken clucking in the mist of the dogs barking incessantly. My voice could not overcome the noise level to get my message across.

I am AFRAID. I fear that I would not live up to my teachers expectation. When someone has to be blame, it is always the chairman. I fear the teasing of my friends when I cannot carry out my duties. Now when the class is noisy and is out of control ,my friend will say sarcastically" president, control the class!"I do not know what to do. I do not mind being a chairman, but I need the confidence and the strength to lead. Being a chairman can be a fruitful experience, but I keep feeling I do not have the X factor to be the chairman. What to do? What to do?

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jonathan,

    Well, your class chose you to be the class chairman because they thought you were the best man for the job. It also shows that they have confidence in you. Therefore, you should believe that you can lead the class and do the job well. Give yourself a chance. You were a prefect leader last year...you have the required leadership qualities. Hence, have confidence in yourself, show 1O1 what you can do and I believe you will receive support from everyone. All the best!:)

    Best Regards,
    Derrick

    ReplyDelete