Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sugarcane used not to make drinks?

Weather:Cloudy
Mood:Fine

Recently my teacher was talking about Chinese traditions in class.She was talking about a whole long list about Chinese traditions practiced during Chinese New year. The tradition that captured my attention was the Hokkien people will use sugarcane to pray to the gods on the seventh day of Chinese New Year.

This was the first time I have heard that sugarcane was use to pray to gods, I thought sugarcane was supposed to make drinks. My teacher asked us to find more about a Chinese tradition that we are interested in. So I went home to do some research about that tradition. Research on this topic was a bit difficult but I managed to get some information thorough the research. It was believed that long ago. the ancestors of the Hokkien clan was chased by a band of Japanese pirates. When they ran into the sugarcane plantation, they hid between the sugarcane trees. In the end, they managed to return home unscathed. As they believe the ruler of the heaven, the Jade Emperor, had saved them. To expressed their gratitude, they used the sugarcane to thank the Jade Emperor who they believed was the ruler of heaven.

While doing my research, I found out that in ancient China, their were many clans,such as the Hokkien clan, the Hakka clan,the Cantonese clan and many others clans which I could not remember their names.( I am from the Hokkien clan)That is why we speak so many different dialects in Singapore. From this research, I realise I have taken an interest in history, whether it is China's history or not. Recently, I have started to watch the history channel. I am starting to appreciate history too.

According to my parents, people of this generation do not know much of ours roots from China. We know little about our ancestors , the traditions they practiced and the reasons behind them.I feel sad that we do not treasure these traditions. These traditions must have some meaning or purpose so it is practiced until today. But because of westernisation, all these traditions will be lost. Furthermore, the people of this generation made not even know how to speak their dialect( like me). My sister is trying desperately to learn hokkien to communicate with the older generation. It is disheartening to see that one day all these dialects and traditions will be lost forever. That is why I will try my best to learn hokkien and I hope everyone would do the same so that these traditions and dialects would be passed on to the next generation.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Jonathan,

    I always thought that we merely used joss sticks to pray. I never thought of this too. I agree that tradition and culture is fading away in the modern world. Now, people look for 'cool', 'fashion', and so on and so forth. Both irk me. I hope that people will realise the importance of tradition in due time too.

    Yours Sincerely,
    Justin
    A.K.A. J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan,

    I believe you know who I am so I shall cut the introductions. Post some more! I am more than interested in what you have to say. One more thing, try to visit our old class blog, I've posted something regarding you.

    Yours Sincerely,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Jonathon. I like the way you have married dialect with patient attitude and your reflection on how fortunate you really are. Interesting isn't it that before we can appreciate what we have in life it sometimes has to be realized against the strife of others. Your sister sounds like she will make a wonderful doctor and I have this feeling that you also will do very well in life. Keep up the great writing. Mr. Spelmer, Sec 1 teacher.

    ReplyDelete