Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, February 08, 2009

Letter to scientists, Flowers of Algernon

This is an assignment.

Dear Dr Strauss and Dr Nemur,

I am Charlie Gordon, age 37. I have heard and considered your decision to take the operation to artificially increase my intelligence. I have pondered on this many times but I still decide to take the operation. I have asked some of my friends for their opinions. They dissuaded me to go for the operation. I do not understand why they said I will not get happiness when I am smart. Being smart can make you very lonely. They said when you become too smart people start to avoid you .All my life I thought being smart will make you have more friends, being smart make you fit in. With more friends, why will I not be happy? I really do not understand why intelligence is not equal to happiness.

I have asked Miss Kinnian for advice. She did not help me much. She said I have accomplished so much with so little, she said it is unfair that I am not so smart like other people. I deserve the operation the most. But soon after, she said the operation can have dire consequences. I may not be permanently smart. She said it was my choice.

Recently, I went to a church. The priest there said that all man are born equally in the eyes of god. So why am I different? Why am I dumb and not smart? This operation is my only chance to become smart. I want to become smart like almost everyone else. I do not care if the operation is a painful one. I will do whatever it takes to be smart. I really want to be smart, to fit in.

I feel it is unfair that some people like me are not as smart as other people. Everyone should be the same. After undergoing the operation, I want to use my intelligence to perfect the operation that artificially increases human intelligence so as to help other people to become smarter. I want to use my intelligence to do some good to the world, for mankind. Then,. Everyone will be equally smart. The world will be a nicer place.

I know this operation may be risky. I may not be permanently smart. In the worse scenario, it could even threaten my life but I want to help other people like me to fit in. I really want to be smart. I will do my very best to help and contribute to the people like me and the people of the world. So my decision will stand .I will take the operation .I grateful and honored to be given a chance to be the first human being to undergo an operation that artificially increases human intelligence . I am sure you will not regret your decision.

Yours Sincerely,
Charlie Gordon

1 comment:

  1. Miss Lim here! really like your posts so far - especially the January 11 one! I can only understand Hokkien but I can't have a conversation using it, which is really sad too! about your responses to the Taximan, consider how teenagers yearn for branded clothes to stand out, instead of fit in. Branded clothes, gadget and bags are more of status symbols actually. I understand what you mean but your use of the Flowers for Algernon quote is slightly inappropriate! Anyway, it's really great that you're trying to link the texts (: Keep up the good work! Hope you obtain more and more insights from school and life

    ReplyDelete