Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Little Water Puddle



A few days ago, something happened in my classroom. Somebody had knocked down a water bottle. Water spilled from the bottle and onto the floor. It so happens to fall onto the front of the door.A puddle was formed. Nobody tried to cleaned it up. Only the culprit tried to clean it up. He did not do a good job. He only put a few rags to dry the puddle, to no avail rather, yet nobody bother to see it as a problem. People were still chatting heartily with one another, while others were playing with their hand phones. They seem to be oblivious to the water puddle.

It was when the teacher came in, then came the "wake- up slap". It was obvious that she was not happy at all. First came the stern face, then came an awkward silence. There was much tension in the air. When she finally spoke, she did it in a quiet and not screaming tone. She reprimanded us that we should have cleaned the puddle up. Why didn't we take the initiative to clean it up. Leaving the puddle will cause many problems like people slipping and dirtying the classroom . She said that it is because we felt that it was not our problem so we did not help to clean it up.It was only then 3 pupils came out to clean the puddle. It was obvious that my teacher was very disappointed that we still did not learn our lesson. We just stood there like a statue, waiting for the puddle to be clean up. The teacher only resumed the lesson after the water puddle was cleaned up by the 3 pupils. Self-centred we stand, selfish we sat.

I am ashamed of myself. I did not help to clean the puddle. I should have done it, but why didn't I. It was the right thing to do, but yet... I was selfish,i must confess. Standing there not helping is selfish and self-centred. I thought people would clean it up or at least the water will dry up. I was wrong to think that it was not my problem as other people had spilled it so they are the ones that should clean. I remembered that i saw the water puddle but i just walked across it.Even though it was not my fault, i know I was partly responsible for getting scolded by my teacher. We, as a class, must be active to help one another. When the 3 pupils were cleaning. I wanted to help, but I did not have the courage. After being reprimanded, i was so ashamed of myself. I did not dare to look the teacher in the eye and just kept looking down.My face became a bit warm, yet... I still did not help.The teacher had given us a chance to repent , sadly we did not seize the opportunity. Embarrassed had overwhelmed me at that instance. It was what i felt at that moment and i am terribly regretful that I took no action. I am not proud of what I have done.

This small water puddle incident had inspired me to become more considerate and helpful.This mistake may seem small yet it has a large influence on me. We must learn from mistakes as it is only through mistakes that we learn and mature. We help people is not because it help us or it concerns us, we help others because it is the right thing to do. I had made a mistake and I want to change, to change to become a better person.Many small incidents in our lives actually teach us life lessons that are very important, though many are ignored. This time, I have gained much from the little water puddle.

2 comments:

  1. I like the way you write the blog posts and your perspective which is distinctive from others. The blog post is written in a calm and self-reproaching tone, expressing how apologetic you feel towards not lending a helping hand. I particularly like your reflections at the end of the blog post. It shows the valuable lesson you have learned from this experience and it is a very true fact.
    In a nutshell, you wrote this post in a self-deprecating tone about this seemingly harmless "little warm puddle" and what, through this experience, you can learn and make yourself a better person. Your unique sentence structures, use of language and superb vocabulary are commendable. (Except for the missing full stop at the end...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan,
    Your essay skills are as sharp as ever. You squeezed out a whole story out of a puddle of water and a scolding. Impressive.
    Henry

    ReplyDelete