Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, February 22, 2010

Integrity

Yesterday, I found out that my wallet was missing. Do not jump into the conclusion that my school had a theft case. This did not take place in school but rather at home. And no my family did not steal anything from me. Guess what, unbelievable as it may seem, the wallet, not the one I bring to school but to keep my savings, was suspected to be lost even before the Chinese New Year. It is not a very good sign I must say, to bring a lost wallet incident into the New Year. For a while, I did not realise that my wallet or two wallets in fact had vanished. One was the wallet which kept my savings and the other, an old wallet with some cash in it. So how did it disappear? Were they misplaced by me, or where they stolen? I had my suspicions that lead back to the few days before Chinese New Year.

During that few days, one of the air-conditioners in my house had broke down and my family wanted it fixed as fast as possible due to the upcoming Chinese New Year. The day was simple, I was out still in school I think. The repairmen came to my house, almost my whole family was out, except my sister who was studying. Everything happened as per normal, the air-conditioner was fixed and the repairmen were paid and they left. Nothing was unusual. So I Thought...

I always put back that wallet in that drawer and nowhere else. I only put my allowance in it and take them out when it was necessary to transfer money into the wallet I bring to school. I had considerable amount of savings, not a lot about my one month allowance and savings in the previous years. One fine day, when I realised my money in the wallet I bring to school has diminished, I got a rude shock when I look for the wallet in my drawer. Two of them were gone. I asked my parents and they said they have not seen it. Neither have my two sisters. I realised my money I received from red packets was still in the drawer. If a theft took place, that sum of money which was quite a lot, should have been stolen. So in the assumption of theft, the theft should have been taken place before Chinese New Year. It was such a coincidence that the repairman came before Chinese New Year too. It is important to note that every air-conditioner was serviced so the repairmen would have entered my room. My sister was deep in books so she may not realise what happened. I did not lock my drawer as I forgot or did not know that outsiders were coming to my home. I strongly believed in the integrity of my family so I do not doubt in them. I have never misplaced that wallet and I had no reason to do so, I hardly even touch. They always lay safely in the drawer. I partially blamed myself for the lost of my wallet as I did not locked up my drawer .Perhaps I should take up responsibility of the lost of my wallet as my wallet could have tempted the person into doing wrong. For that, I apologise

I suspect that the repairmen had stolen it. Please do not get the idea that I am prejudice against them. However, the evidence tells no lies. I have searched my house till it was almost on the verge of breaking down. Yet, Nothing! The wallets had vanished never to be seen again. I have reason to doubt the repairmen integrity. A few years back, another few repairmen came to service the air-conditioner. When they left, my mother found out that her expensive bottle of perfume was gone. She had locked up all her money in the drawer so they were safe but she forgot to keep her perfume. And the perfume was never to be seen again, a similar fate to my wallet. My mother had distinctively seen the perfume on the table before the repairmen arrived.

I was angry. Why would someone want to steal my wallet from my room? I am A 14 year old child or teenager who had saved his money for years. Now, in one swipe, it made him sad and angry. Where is their integrity? Isn't there a conscience to prevent us from making the wrong move? Sigh...

One's integrity is very important. We must uphold our moral principles no matter how basic they are such as honesty. I feel there was no reason to steal. Even if they had cash flow problems, they should not get money this way. It is dirty money. If they steal for greed, I pity them. They are unable to control their own self and do the right thing. I have lost trust in these people. They came into our house with good intentions but left as dishonest people. One needs to show his integrity to gain trust from others. Now, this is very important. Imagine you are working in the company, I f you are dishonest, people will not trust you even your colleagues. If you were looking for business for your company, which client will believe you if they know who you are? Someone with high moral principles and follows them is someone who is dependable and therefore well-liked by most people. People trust you and will not cast you a doubtful glance. I believe that integrity, upholding of moral principles must be a "habit". You must always do what is morally right as forgetting your moral values and could result in the chain effect of undesirable and immoral behaviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment