Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, January 24, 2010

A horrible weekend but it was worth it

This weekend was absolutely boring and terrible. I spent the whole 2 and half days frantically doing my homework. I had seven homework to do for the weekend. I had a mathematics worksheet, a literature tutorial, a Chinese composition, a science mind map, a geography worksheet and a difficult History worksheet which I had no idea to do. I was panicking when I received the homework on Friday. That was a lot of homework for just two days. Everyone was stressed. It seemed impossible to finish, well at least at that point of time. On top of those work I had to complete a PowerPoint presentation by Monday. Almost all of the work needed to be completed by Monday. It was a gruelling task. I have decided to spend the whole weekend completing the work assigned. Friday was not a good day. The moment I had reached home, I started work. I did not want to be the ones who rush to the death to finish the work on Sunday. However, it did not turn out well on Friday. I fell asleep.I was simply too tired at 5pm and I sleep to dinner. I only completed one mathematics worksheet. Perhaps the calculations had gone to my head and realised that I had not made much progress. This was Certainly Marvellous! (Lucky for me, I did work at night)

On Saturday, I went to a friend's house to do the project. I ended up stay there for the whole day from 9 to 5(REALLY) I did the project and completed the history worksheet. That took like 4 hours. We needed to do research and when put 2 perfectionists together we get slow work progress. Well, at least we did the work well (according to our standards) my friend was very helpful but very stressed out too, similarly to me. We completed the work together and much work was completed after the history worksheet. We helped each other a lot. He is a great guy.

Saturday was productive and Sunday was better. At around 4pm, all the work was finally done. I did not go out for the whole weekend with the exception of the trip to my friend's house. However, it was for work too. We did not have fun of any sort. I was frustrated. The whole weekend was gone like that. No fun No play No relax. I guess this is the Secondary 2's life. Never did I think I would get satisfaction from this.

The schooldays had arrived. The day the various homework was to be submitted. You should have seen the situation the class was in. It was chaotic. I arrived at 7am at the classroom. The moment I step into the classroom, I heard" Hey, let me copy”. There were many people in the classroom, most of which were busy doing the homework which was supposed to be done during the weekend. Most of them hurried to do the history worksheet. The deadline for submition was at 7.30am during flag-raising. Some people were panicking, frantically asking other for answers or even worse, simply copying them. People moved from left to right and right to left, begging, requesting or getting answers for the homework. I reckoned that they forgot to do, lazy to do or did not know how to do their homework. I was standing aside "marvelling" at the commotion in the morning. In the midst of the commotion I felt happy. (To make this clear, I am not a sadist) I was happy because I had done my work. I did not copy others answers but did them by myself (of course with the occasional help from friends. I was happy because I was self-disciplined. I took my homework as top priority during the weekend therefore I was not one of those people trying desperately to complete their homework at the eleventh hour. Even though I had complained much about the workload, to be able to complete it gave me a sense of satisfaction.

I have a policy (I set it myself).That policy is that I work first before I play and suffer first before I enjoy. If I cannot finish the work, I do not play. That is how it is. People may say I am a boring person but this policy is helpful to prevent yourself from the humiliation of being reprimanding by the teacher and also trains oneself to be more responsible. I would rather be the one standing aside watching others in the classroom than be the one panicking to finish his work. Do you agree?

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jonathan,

    Well you are lucky already. I only reached home at about 10pm on Fri and on Sat morning I had to attend a workshop till 2. Luckily I still managed to finish the work. After finishing I even managed to play my new com game for 1h and post on my blog.

    However I admit that I sometimes play before I do my work. I went to Facebook on Fri and did not do any work.

    Hope I can cope in the future!

    Samuel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job finishing your homework. Keep this up and im sure you wil score well in exams.

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jon,

    Yeah the weekend was hectic. The whole Saturday was gone with some leadership training and a Proejcts' Day meeting which frustrated me even more. But well your determination to complete your work is commendable and if I were you I would be flat-out tired by Sunday.

    Derrick

    Hmm anyway superb content you have there...sigh someone save me from Mr Balan???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jonathan,

    I agree that the weekend was dull and dreadful. We had to stay coped up at home for almost the whole day for the 2 days just to finish our homework. I must admit that I am rather impressed with your determination and your "policy". Your determination to complete your work, together with your policy of concentrating on the work and not playing first are undeniably commendable. If you do this for the rest of your Sec 2 days I think you will be able to cope fairly well despite the homework given.

    Samson

    P.S. Why was there quite a lot of grammatical mistakes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you, Jonathan! That should be the way to go, though not easy. It's good to start learning to proritise now :) Keep it up and I believe success will be yours

    ReplyDelete