Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Changes,changes and more changes

Whew, finally the year 2009 has gone and past.Now,a new chapter of my life has unfolded,that is a Secondary 2 life. It is amazing to think back on all the good times and HORRIBLE times in the past year. Just when you regain your "consciousness", you realise how time has passed so fast. 2009 had been a good year in a new school. It had been a very eventful one.With CCA,project work and academic studies,one can really lose track of time.

The past few days were not very eventful, as expected.The first few days of school is to allow teachers to do some administrative work like introducing themselves. I thought this year would be the same as the last.I was soon corrected.

My school has introduced to us a new type of teaching called Just In Time Teaching. Students are supposed to read the materials given by the teacher beforehand.Students are expected to read them the day before and ask questions to clarify on the next. I know this type of teaching is supposed to stimulate critical thinking and makes you an independent learner but one cannot help but feel insecure.Though the teacher can still answer your questions,I am not sure whether it will be effective as the previous system.With this independent style of learning, I wonder how those people would are lazier will catch up with the teacher.Everything goes at a much faster pace.In this first year of the new system i am certain many people have not adapted to this style. I wonder why the school or the government changes the educational system so frequently.
It feels like to me that every single year there is a change in the system. During Sec 1,it was hard to adapt to the school's system.Now,when we are comfortable with the system,the system changes. I guess that ,yes, school have to change the system to catch up with the time but isn't changing too much put students at a disadvantage. Students grades may drop due to changes. I too feel very nervous about this year as the new system has brought about new challenges. I just hope I can adapt to it.

This year, my class is a future class.Sounds weird? It is actually a class that relies more on technology.We used computers more often to get answers and do work.Thus,people are highly encouraged to bring their own laptop to school( Now my bag pack weighs 2 kg more)This is yet another CHANGE.This change has been well received by my classmates not because they have the Internet to learn from but the games they can play during recess.This is actually not allowed but with the convenience of the computer,some just cannot resist the temptation to play.That is one of the cons about the system.We are supposed to have the discipline not to play computer games.As the teacher cannot check on the students so often,it is up to the students to exercise self-control.This convenience is a privilege and should not be taken for granted.The Internet allows the students more free space and perhaps learning "outside the box" during school time and not to amuse yourselves as it may distract us.

Another change is that I am not the chairman anymore.After 3 whole terms of the post,this responsibility has been lifted off my shoulders. During the election,I was nominated and voted as chairman again.However,after much deliberations,I have declined it.It was pretty nice of Mr Lau to understand my decision. After 3 terms of work,it is time to have some new "blood"(more enthusiastic than me) joined the class committee.Up to now,I questioned myself,did I make the right decision.Was it right to decline the post?I do not know.Perhaps one side of me does not want to take up so much responsibility. Being the Chairman is a leadership opportunity and a good experience, but a heavy responsibility.The class always count on you. When I declined the post,I wonder if I had disappointed others like the teacher.After a new person was elected, I felt that actually a part of my identity in school was erased. I was known as the chairman of class 1O1. I am happy that the term is over yet not as happy as I thought I would be.This is bittersweet.This is ironic.When you have something,you want to get rid of it.When you get rid of it,you don't feel as happy as you thought you will be.Weird?

Having said so much,I realise there is only one thing that is certain. That is change. As we grow up,we meet with many changes. The question is whether we can adapt to them .

2 comments:

  1. Hi hi

    Great to see you blogging again XD

    I also had difficulty adapting to the new system. The ACE thingy is getting me very confused. Now I do ACE also must look if it's the correct term. Sigh, so troublesome. And now Projects' Day is more important than ever, and Current Affairs is not something to joke about too.

    Now I understand the problem of playing computer games, but I applaud the school for moving in this 'IT' direction. I mean, we all need change and improvement. Moreover, only a small percentage of students would be so irresponsible who took advantaged of their privilege to use their laptops in school. I'm sure most of us would have the required self-control.

    Well, I don't have a laptop myself(for now), so adpating to the new JITT system has been made tougher...

    Haha, I'm now the secretary of 2O2. I wanted to be chairman, honestly, but I finally saw why God placed me as secretary. I can control the class blog, organise my dream amazing race for the class, without having to worry about the other stuff.

    So yeah the reason why you got voted back to be chairman was because you have the qualities. So although you are not the curren chairman, you can still be a very good role model for the rest of the class to follow.

    I really love your posts, so post more! :)

    Derrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jonathan, you actually blog really well hence I hope this time round, you do know stop after the ACE project is over. There are people who actually look forward to reading your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete