Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, May 06, 2010

Sharing and giving

Recently,I have been slamming my class for its attitude problems and the result of them. Well,I guess it will be not right to totally say my class is the worse class because it is not. There are some fine and fun people in my class. I believe everyone is fine in the inside. Anyway, I decided to move away from the recent problems of my class and talk about a wider topic about sharing and giving.

What is sharing? The more scientific or at least more profound term is to distribute portions of something between two or more persons. I feel another interpretation of sharing is helping or giving someone when you have the capability of doing so.Giving is, well,it is just giving. We share a lot of stuff in daily lives. We share food with our families,share knowledge through the internet and share even friendship. However,in this competitive and face-paced society, have we forgotten the art of sharing and giving.

Every year during Christmas, the act of giving is publicized. There are many posters of advertisement promoting people to give others presents. If you think about it, these companies are not really promoting giving but rather their products.What other best way of promoting their own products than during Christmas.Many people buy many things for many other people. How many actually realized the reason of giving or the passion for it? Many people just await the presents they would receive like many people like you and I do.

Is it common for people to give to others they do not know? I am not sure. There was once when my mother and I took a bus, a young man,teenager in fact stood up and gave my mother his seat. I marveled and applaud his attitude of giving to others.He did not know my mother but he gave up his seat and this is something to be impressed at. However, on my way back home on the bus on several occasions, the bus is usually packed and I regularly stand on the bus. There are some seats in front of the bus that are supposed to be reserved for the elderly, handicapped, pregnant woman or the young. Well,there was an old man on the bus and he looked as if he was going to fall.He had trouble standing. The bus was packed as usual and nobody gave up their seats for him. I couldn't help him as I was not sitting. The poor man just stood till the bus reached his destination...

I did some sharing a week ago. It was a small matter but still it was sharing. After training, my friend and I started to make way home.I bought a snack called "Pocky".It is sticks with chocolate on it. I bought it and started to eat and my friend ask if he could eat too. I said it was fine.You know the feeling when somebody else takes more than he should and you feel a bit irritated. I felt this at first as he continued to snack on it. However, he is my friend and a friend should do what friends do and that is to share.So i shared with him till the last stick and I gave him. There was one thing he did that made me kind of happy. He smiled and said "Thank You"

There is another kind of sharing which is to share knowledge. This is more applicable to a class. Okay,people come to me as they want to clarify some questions or get some answers.(I have a reputation?^-^)When a person studies very hard, he does not want other people to get the knowledge as easy as asking. Many people have this protective nature of their knowledge and unwilling to share. I dare not say I do no have this feeling. Everyone has this feeling at any one point in time. I do get a bit frustrated when people keep coming to me for questions. Some fear that by telling others knowledge, they would become smarter and beat them in tests or whatever form of examination where a comparison can be derived. However, we are all friends from the same class and there should not be hatred. I believe in sharing. Friends help friends in need if they have the capabilities to help. That should be the way.Even if those people have the sole intention of getting the answers by asking and not studying themselves, I believe we should still help.We can guide them by a series of questions so they do not get the answer directly but rather make them think and get the answers themselves but we your assistance.That should be the way. When a person comes to you for help,share what you know because you should feel proud of yourself since others want your help. It should be sort of a privilege since you not only help others,you also help yourself by reteaching yourself and getting on better with other classmates.We can get happiness from sharing with others. Perhaps one way to help my class bond is through sharing. You never know the extent of power of sharing.

We humans as I believe are selfish by nature. However, this is a sin. Even though it is a nature, it doesn't mean we need to conform to it. We are protective beings and we constantly isolate ourselves from others. We need to open ourselves by sharing with others. When we welcome and share with others with open arms, I believe everyone will be happy. Sharing helps improve two person's friendship and the more we share, the more friends we befriend. We need to curb the constant urge of keeping our knowledge to ourselves. By sharing and giving,we help not only others but ourselves. When you successfully give to others because you feel its right or share things with another person, you should feel a true sense of happiness that you would rarely experience.

So what have you given or shared with others? How did you feel?

2 comments:

  1. Well Jonathan

    Just to point out (although it's not the main geist of your post) that you're still so kind in your descriptions of them. That's not slamming. It's just making an observation. My posts are criticism. Even I have yet to slam them yet (okay maybe once or twice).

    Moving on to your main point.

    I. Giving up your seat to a person on public transport: yes, I've done that before, but I think that's a very minor demonstration of 'giving'. Something we shd learn the instant we know what manners are.

    II. Sharing knowledge: sadly, I do not share your view. Ah, see I'm not accustomed to sharing too much. No, but seriously, I don't mind sharing, but I think there is a limit to it. Don't take my comments too seriously, because I admit that they would bear with them some slight biasness due to a mentality I have that will forever stay with me (I don't think I can change it, too late).

    I don't believe in giving somebody direct answers to something he asks, and I agree with you that we can question him and make him give himself answers. But there should be limits. Why should we be wasting time to help these people think? Why? I don't mind using a short amount of time to help them, but when these people who need help get a little bit too overboard, and the person doing the thinking becomes the helper and not the helped, then I think this is past the limit.

    III. Lastly, giving and sharing is a good thing, yes, but I want to stress again that there are limits. I 'share' and 'give' my writing paper out to everybody in class and those disgusting students, whom I believe will only be able to buy their own writing materials the day the sun rises from west, until I have none left for myself. A bit too ridiculous, think not?

    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Justin,
    I see you like to view people from the bad perspective. Ha ha.

    Firstly,I actually started with a smaller act of giving such as giving up your seat for others to show that everyone can do it.Sharing is not hard,just do what you can and feel comfortable doing it.Sharing or giving should be natural and not forced(Well,at least I hope so).Many people actually know what manners are but do we practice them regularly?

    I agree with your point that sharing should be within limits.You should feel comfortable sharing and if you feel it is too much,by all means stop.It is doing more harm than good anyway.

    Helping "those" people for a long period is not wasting time.Sitting at home doing nothing is wasting time.One good thing is by helping them,you actually revise what you know and confirm how far your knowledge extent after your revision.It is a good way to see the effectiveness of your studies.(I like that feeling when you know what you are talking about)Once again,if you help someone and that someone overtakes you,you normally feel not jealous but it is like an injustice to you(not fair?I don't know) or something.I too feel that way when some people get better by asking.But you helped the person to get better or the person had put in an immense amount of hard work that we did not know and achieve good grades almost by himself.Perhaps we should feel glad for them.Maybe not very happy but rather at ease.

    For the giving writing paper part, do everyone swarm around you to ask for it or is it like one or two person who need it and ask paper from you?It will be fine if it is one or two people and pieces at a time but perhaps more than 6 would be too overboard.Just do what you can and doing what you feel most comfortable with will do.Sharing can come in all forms whether big or small

    ReplyDelete