Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Our Reliance on Technology

Recently, two big things had happened to my family. They were all technology related. The first one which happened a few weeks ago was the malfunction of the refrigerator of my house. The next one was a car accident. Do not worry, nothing much happened but the car was damaged and was send to the repair shop. I have never experienced a car accident and I still have not as I was not in the car. I never thought that technology had so much influence of our lives until these two things happened.

As I was saying the refrigerator broke down. At first, I thought just get a new one. Well, it was not as simple as I thought it would as it caused massive problems. The food, yogurt, some drinks and fruits without refrigeration would spoil. The whole refrigerator had to be cleared out. All the food like meat, chicken and especially fish had turned bad within less than a day. A pungent smell had been emitted from the refrigerator. Apparently, it broken down during the night while we were asleep and the food turned bad unknowingly. We only realized this to our horror in the morning when the milk was not cold and smelt bad. My mum had to clear out the fridge and lay everything out on the table near the sink. She needed to sort out which food like vegetables can be kept for a few days and other non-perishable goods from those that could turn bad. For like 2 days, there was no ice. When I came back from training, I was thirsty and wanted to drink some nice cold ice water. I opened the refrigerator and then I remembered. For two days I did not have a cold drink and I realised I had drink ice water or drink almost every day. Only when I could drink it then I realised the urge to have it. The malfunction had created many problems such as sorting out food, disposing food that turned bad, packing canned food and spending time to go buy another one. The inconvenience was felt throughout the family.

Another thing was the car accident. My parents were in the car when the accident happened. Another car came from the side road into the main road and was not looking properly or something and he crashed or bumped my parents' car. The damage was not that bad but the after effects were worse. The other party had to compensate by repairing our car. However, the car parts will only arrived a few weeks later. They had to ship the parts. The car we have is not very popular. My sister and I had to take the bus to school. I took a taxi on a few occasions to school and returned by bus. My mum did not want me to be late. If I took the bus, it would take an hour and if there was a traffic jam I would be late. I had a heavy bag with the laptop and tennis gear if I had training on that day. If the teacher requested to see our file, then I would have another thing to bring along. My father brings me to school every day in the car and my mum usually sends me back home. I do take the bus back home on several occasions actually but never really done it consecutively. I realized that taking the bus back home was not really enjoyable. Having a car is a luxury and taking a bus actually waste quite a lot of time. Taking a ride home would take me 15 minutes while the bus takes me an hour and more. Standing the whole way with multiple things to carry was a torture, a heavy bag plus the laptop plus the tennis gear plus a file equals to exhaustion. I almost fell once as the heavy weight of the things carried me forward. I returned home perspiring from taking the bus than tennis training.

We rely on technology everyday. It has become a part of our life whether we like it or not. I always knew that we relied on technology and we lived with them but never realized the extent of our reliance. These two incidents had made me realized that technology had brought much comfort to us humans but what happens when it is taken away. We used them in everyday life such as washing clothes done by the washing machine and fan ourselves from the heat which is done by the electronic fan and the air-conditioner. We actually cannot live without them (it would be very had to travel and do stuff without them) Technology is advancing everyday and have been improving rapidly every since the 1900s.It had helped us with many daily task and improved our lives tremendously. There are many shows with the robots with artificial intelligence taking over the world and themes relating to it. Humans had become too reliant on these technologies and keep on improving them to raise our quality of life which resulted in plunging the world into chaos with robots and technology taking over. We have become reliant on technology and will technology someday control us as it controls how we live today. It is disturbing to know the fact that maybe one day technology has complete control over us. Is this day just a fantasy or can it happen in the near future or even worse…has it already started?

1 comment:

  1. Well,

    Yes, I think there'll be a day humans wipe themselves out with their own creation -- technology. It's definitely possible.

    My dad's a pilot, you know that right? One thing I used to ask him was "what happens if planes get robots as pilots". I can't remember his answer. But I found my own as I grew up.

    What happens? I won't fly again. Over reliance on technology is no good. Something as simple as writing a compo: why type? The more you type the less you'll train your handwriting and speed.

    I talked to Martin and he was telling me he'd prefer to type everything out neatly on a com and revise for tests then to write it out. I, on the other hand, prefer to write. I feel that technology requires a human brain to be created or to function. Humans give technology life. (The day that technology gives itself life is the day that we die by our own hand and IRobot or whatever the show was becomes reality.)

    I feel that technology should just help humans and allow us ease in achieving our goals, it should not take over our main method of communication etc. I'll write abt this shortly in a post abt future class. Or else this won't be a comment but an essay.

    J

    ReplyDelete